Sunday, April 25, 2010

Meal plans and the week ahead

Three more fruit trees have been added to the orchard. We now have added 1 balaton tart cherry, 1 redhaven peach, 2 sweet cherries - bing and emperor francis, and 1 braeburn apple tree. Add those to the existing 2 bosc pears, 1 oriental pear, 3 bartlett pears, and 7 or 8 random apple trees that I haven't identified yet. I think we're in good shape. I've been doing lots of research into backyard organic orcharding, but I still have a long ways to go. I will be focusing on that research a lot this week. I just feel like I need to get my plan up and running... like 3 weeks ago... since the bartletts have been flowering and the others are soon to follow. Controls need to be established now if I have a chance of beating the issues in the pre-existing orchard (apples and pears).

This week will be another fun week. Today is low key, just doing what we do. Tuesday I have Zumba. Wednesday I will likely be in Detroit for meetings. Thursday is a big day at work with our presentation and hearing on the DRIC. We've been working for years now and it all leads to Thursday. We'll get an up or down vote in the next month, so its going to be pretty intense for awhile. Friday is my flex day, which means Kindermusik. I think Carson and I are going to go visit a cow share farm to check it out after Kindermusik if its not raining. Saturday we are heading out to Holland for Tulip Time in the morning - assuming its not raining. Then we'll be heading back to the Detroit area to hang out with some friends.

So here's the plan...

Sunday -
(make bread for week; make steel cut oats for week; paint?)
B: omelets with mushrooms, spinach, and swiss
L: leftover pizza soup
D: tbd

Meatless Monday -
B: steel cut oats with strawberries and bananas
L: S & K - spinach salads with strawberries, mandarin oranges, slivered almonds, mozzarella, and strawberry vinaigrette; C - PB&J sandwich, string cheese, green grapes
D: huevos rancheros; fresh fruit

Tuesday - Zumba
(clean kitchen and bathroom)
B: PB toast; banana
L: chips and salsa; cucumber and carrot slices; sliced co-jack cheese
D: chicken divan with broccoli and cauliflower; fresh fruit

Wednesday -
(work outside; vacuum and dust)
B: steel cut oats with peanut butter and bananas
L: leftover chicken divan
D: eating at my parents' house

Thursday -
(work outside)
B: yogurt with peaches
L: hard boiled egg; string cheese; fruit
D: goulash; cornbread; fruit

Friday - flex; Kindermusik; farm visit?
(make quinoa salad to take to our friends' house on Saturday)
B: waffles from freezer; fresh fruit
L: leftover goulash
D: chicken saag (since we didn't have it last week); brown rice; fruit salad

Saturday - Tulip Time; hanging out with friends
B: scrambled eggs with veggies; fresh fruit
L: eating in Holland
D: eating in the Detroit area

1 comment:

The Voogts said...

Have fun at the farm on Friday! I hope I can take Rebecca to the one around her this summer. Looking forward to seeing you guys on Sat. So far the weatehr looks good. I hope it stays that way.

Nice work on the orchard. Can't wait to try some :) Can I get a family discount if I shop at your market? ;)