Thursday, April 8, 2010

Raw Carrot & Cucumber Salad with Peanut Dressing

I've been trying to add in more and more raw, living foods into our diet and meals. The benefits of eating raw, living food are just too amazing to ignore. I highly doubt we'll ever become totally raw, but I think it would be nice to eat half raw at some point. And now that Kevin is starting to jump on the health food bandwagon and is thinking about what he eats a little more now than he ever has, he's actually game for trying this, too! So hopefully you'll be seeing more and more raw recipes on my blog in the weeks and months to come. I have quite a few recipes bookmarked, printed, or saved on my link list on this blog that I want to try. It'll be easier now that the summer growing season is about to start and the availability of fresh, local, raw foods will be more readily available.

Anyway, we tried a raw carrot and cucumber salad with one of our meals this week. I found the recipe on Gone Raw. This was really good. I didn't use a chili pepper in my dressing since I didn't have one on hand and didn't feel like buying one. I just squirted in a little Sriracha chili sauce - not much because I didn't want to make it too spicy for Carson. We all liked it and I think I'd definitely make it again!

I'll update with a picture later on.

Raw Carrot and Cucumber Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing

Salad:
2 medium-large carrots
1/2 cucumber
hemp or sesame seeds

Spicy peanut dressing:
1/4c peanut butter (or almond butter if you prefer)
1.5 tbsp tamari (or nama shoyu to be truly raw)
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp lime juice
cayenne pepper or chili pepper, finely minced and seeded to taste (I just used a squirt or Sriracha)
1/4c water (start with 1/8c and add more as needed)
Add a bit more water as needed to get the right consistency

Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a bowl.

Using a veggie peeler, peel thin strips of the cucumber and carrots. You may want to chop the veggies in half first so your pieces aren't too big. Put into a bowl and toss with the dressing until well coated. Top with hemp seeds or sesame seeds.

Note: because of the water in the cucumber, if this salad is saved for the next day or two, it can get watery. So, store the salad separate from the dressing and when you want to eat it, take some and put in a bowl and dress.

3 comments:

The Voogts said...

Good for you on trying to eat more raw food. Does Carson do ok with it? Rebecca still has major chewing issues, so I'm so cautious about a lot of things with her. I'm going to ask the ped about it at her check up.

I love raw food. And I wouldn't mind eatintg more raw. But I'm pretty sure Justin wouldn't like it...he can't even hardly eat a raw carrot or piece of broccoli. And I'm not sure how my tummy would handle it. So I doubt it's in our future any time soon :P

Allie said...

Sounds yummy! Stop by I have an award waiting for you. :)

Sara said...

Yep, Carson does pretty well with it. Especially with this salad b/c the carrots and cukes are sliced so thin. He eats raw baby carrots, though. He eats a lot of things raw, actually.

I'm kind of worried about the effects on digestion, as well. But we'll give it a try.