Saturday, March 6, 2010

Cajun Style Blackened Snapper

I picked up some good red snapper at Trader Joes this week and wanted to try out this recipe from AllRecipes. Kevin and I both love blackened fish, so I figured I couldn't go wrong - and was hoping Carson would like it, too. We all thought it was delicious!! Definitely a great recipe - super fast to prep and make, super easy, and super tasty! This is just a typical blackened seasoning, so you could definitely use it with whatever type of firmer fish you have on hand. I think I will try it with Mahi Mahi some night soon.

I totally forgot to take a picture... sorry!

Cajun Style Blackened Snapper

2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (I just did 1 teaspoon since I wanted Carson to eat it)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground white pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons onion powde
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
4 (6 ounce) fillets red snapper
1 1/2 cups butter, melted

In a small bowl, mix together paprika, cayenne pepper, white pepper, black pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, and oregano.

Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat for 10 minutes, or until extremely hot.

Dip fish into melted butter, and sprinkle each fillet generously with the seasoning mixture. Place the fish fillets in the hot skillet. Pour 1 tablespoon of butter over each fillet. Cook until the coating on the underside of the fillet turns black, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn the fish over. Pour another tablespoon of butter over the fish, and cook for 2 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

No comments: