Sunday, March 21, 2010

Bruleed Yogurt Parfaits

Forgot to post this one last night. I made these for breakfast on Friday morning. I found the idea on Baking Bites and thought it sounded good and fun. Plus, I got to try out my new kitchen torch that I inherited from my late grandma. These were super easy and very tasty. I'll definitely make these again! I made them with vanilla yogurt and thawed blueberries. Delicious! Can't wait to try out different combos!

Sorry, I forgot to take a picture.

Bruléed Yogurt Parfait

Vanilla or plain yogurt
fresh or frozen berries
sugar, regular or superfine

You will probably use 1 cup of yogurt and 1/2 cup berries per serving. Feel free to change the proportions to suit your tastes, the size of your dishes or the number of people you wish to serve.

In a single-serving heat-resistant bowl (glass or pyrex), layer yogurt and berries into 3-5 layers, making sure to top the parfait with a layer of yogurt. Sprinkle sugar generously over the top of the yogurt and toast with a kitchen torch until caramelized and bubbling. Let sugar set, then serve.

Parfait is best when berries have had a few minutes to soften.

Note: While creme brulee can go under the broiler to caramelize, I don't recommend it for this yogurt dish, as the heat from the broiler can curdle the yogurt and cause it to separate.

1 comment:

The Voogts said...

Interesting. Never would have thought of doing that with yogurt. How fun to have a torch!