Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Veggie Oven Pancake

I tried out another recipe from my Simply in Season cookbook for dinner last night for a veggie oven pancake. It was really good - we all enjoyed it. Although, next time I'll add some spices to it to give it a little more flavor, I think. Super easy to throw together and its a very versatile recipe... you can basically use whatever veggies you have on hand. They even have some suggestions for a fruit variation by adding a little vanilla, sugar, and cinnamon to the batter and sprinkling some cinnamon and sugar on top.

Veggie Oven Pancake

1 Tablespoon butter
2/3 cup veggies (You can use whatever you want. I used leeks and broccoli... and had more than 2/3 cup)
3/4 cup milk
2/3 cup flour
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cheese

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. While oven heats, place butter in 9-inch pie pan and place in oven to melt. Swirl pan to grease bottom and sides. (I just used some organic olive oil cooking spray)

Lightly steam veggies on stovetop or in microwave. (You can pretty much cook the veggies however you want... roast them, saute them, etc. I sauteed mine.) Place veggies in the bottom of the pan.

Mix milk, flour, eggs, and salt until well blended and smooth. Pour over veggies. Bake until puffed and golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle cheese on top as soon as you remove from oven and serve immediately. (I put my cheese on after 15 minutes of cooking.)

No comments: