Sunday, May 17, 2009

Crockpot Chicken Fried Rice

I'm playing catch-up here on some posts. Last week we had crockpot fried rice from A Year of Crockpotting. It was super easy and very, very good! Definitely a keeper! I cooked up a bunch of organic short-grain brown rice in my rice cooker the other morning - some to use for this recipe and the rest I froze in 2-cup portions. I've heard that you can freeze cooked rice and that it thaws very well. I've been wanting to try that for awhile now, so I finally did. We'll see how it is when I thaw some. Anyway, I made a double recipe of this fried rice so we have some for today's and Monday's lunch, but I'll post the original recipe with those proportions.

Crockpot Chicken Fried Rice

2 cups leftover rice/quinoa
3 T butter (I only used 2 T for a double recipe)
2 T soy sauce (I used low-sodium)
2 t worcestershire sauce
1/2 t black pepper (I didn't add this)
1/4 t kosher salt (I didn't add this, the soy sauce makes it plenty salty)
1/2 diced yellow onion
1 cup of whatever frozen or fresh vegetables you have on hand (I used some french-style green beans, corn, and peas)
cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
1 egg
sesame seeds for garnish, optional (I didn't use them)

Plop everything on in there together. Mix it around, and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or on low for 3-4. You are only heating everything up and cooking the egg. (I cooked mine on high for about an hour and a half, then on low for another 45 minutes)

No comments: