Saturday, April 2, 2011

Pecan Glazed Butternut Squash

I have a few more butternut squash that I need to use up, so I tried a new squash recipe this week for Pecan Glazed Butternut Squash.  I found the recipe on Grain Free Foodie.  This was awesome!  I don't think I've ever put pecans on top of a squash or sweet potato casserole, but I'm sorry I haven't yet because it is so good.  I did not add any honey to the filling and it was plenty sweet, although I'm sure it'd be tasty with the honey in the filling, too. 

Pecan Glazed Butternut Squash 

Filling:
1 small butternut squash
1-2 Tablespoons honey (I left this out)
2 Tablespoons butter
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Glaze:
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chopped pecans

Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.  Place in a baking dish with some water in the bottom and roast at 400 degrees for about 30-45 minutes, until squash is fork-tender.  Remove from oven and let cool until you can handle it.  Scoop out the flesh and mash into a 2-quart or 8x8 glass casserole dish.  Mix in remaining filling ingredients.  I just did the mixing all in the casserole dish to save a bowl to wash.

Next, make the glaze.  Mix butter, honey, and salt in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the mixture begins to carmelize (honey will turn slightly darker). Do not overcook, it will continue to carmelize in the oven. Add pecans, and spread glaze over filling.

Bake at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes or until glaze looks consistent and filling looks firm.


This post is linked to:
Foodies Follow Fridays at Hella Delicious
Pennywise Platter at The Nourishing Gourmet
Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade
Simple Lives Thursday at GNOWFGLINS
Sugar Free Sundays at Flip Cookbook

6 comments:

The Voogts said...

Yum. Sounds almost like the sweet potato casserole I make. Except this one has a much more involved topping. I just sprinkle stuff on top. I almost always use crispy pecans on sweet potatoes and squash :) And butter...lots of butter.

Raj @ Flip Cookbook said...

Oh yum! I've been meaning to create candied pecans.. Looking forward to trying your recipe out! Thanks for sharing at <a href="http://flipcookbook.com/2011/04/sugar-free-sunday-april-3-2011/>Sugar Free Sunday!</a>.

Jill said...

Wow. I use butternut squash all the time -- this looks like a great variation! Thanks!

Raj @ Flip Cookbook said...

I tried this last night -- wow - turned out really good! :)

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

I love the sound of this! I had not cooked squash until recently and now I am a huge fan of the butternut variety. Plus, I love pecans! Thank you for linking this to Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me Home last week. I follow your blog already - are you on Twitter or anywhere else I can follow you? Hope you will come by Feed Me Tweet Me and link up again today if you haven't already. Have a great weekend.

Mrs. Ed said...

Wow, this looks yummy. It would also be good come Thanksgiving time.