Friday, July 3, 2009

Pork Souvlaki and Tzatziki

Tonight we had pork souvlaki and tzatziki from Kalofagos. Oh my goodness, this was sooooo good!! All three of us loved it! The meat had such a great flavor. I'm already planning to make chicken or lamb souvlaki using this method sometime. The tzatziki was very good, too. Though I doubt I'll make it again just because I am the only one that ate it, so now I have a ton of leftover tzatziki that I'm not sure what I'll do with... I can only eat so many pita chips dipped in it before I'll be sick of it... but I guess maybe I'll take it for a snack at work or something. Anyway, definitely try this souvlaki sometime - it is just so delicious! We had ours with some grilled summer squash and zucchini. And I forgot to take a picture of the tzatziki - check out Kalofagos, there's a picture there.

Pork Souvlaki

1 boneless pork butt/shoulder (we used some of our yummy pork from my BFF's brother)
1 medium onion, grated (organic, I just chopped mine)
3 cloves of garlic, minced (organic)
1 heaping tsp. salt
1 heaping tsp. black pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
1 heaping tsp. dried Greek oregano
wooden skewers, soaked overnight

Trim excess fat from your pork butt and cut into uniform pieces. In a large bowl, add your remaining marinade ingredients along with the pork pieces and toss to mix and coat all the meat. Place in the fridge for at least 5 hours and for best results, overnight. (I soaked mine overnight) Place your wooden skewers in a shallow baking dish that’s filled with water. Allow the wooden skewers to soak overnight (so they don’t disintegrate when grilling).

The next day, a couple of hours before you are going to grill your souvlaki, allow the pork to come to room temperature and then start skewering your meat - it’s easier when your meat’s at room temperature.

Pre-heat your grill and when you have a medium-high heat, grill your souvlakia for 3-4 minutes a side and then keep warm until all the souvlaki are cooked. Squeeze fresh lemon juice on your souvlakia with a sprinkle of fine sea salt and dried Greek oregano.

Serve with some crusty bread and Tzatziki.


Tzatziki

500 gr. of greek (strained) yogurt
1-2 cloves of minced garlic (depending how garlicky you like it)
1/2 English cucumber, seeded and grated
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
splash of Ouzo (left this out)
salt
extra virgin olive oil

Take your cucumber and seed it then box grate it into a strainer. Sprinkle some salt to help draw out the moisture. Give the cucumber 30 minutes and use a cheese cloth or your hands (in batches) to squeeze out the water.

Add your shredded cucumber to the yogurt and now add 1-2 cloves of minced garlic, your chopped dill, season with salt to taste and lastly, a splash of Ouzo....yes Ouzo. It gives your Tzatziki that "je ne sais quoi"! (I didn't use Ouzo)

Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, give it a dill garnish and serve with toasted pita bread.

No comments: