Saturday, July 4, 2009

Lemon Blueberry Cookies

Add one more thing to my list yesterday - lemon blueberry cookies from Two Peas and Their Pod. I had wanted to make them for our Independence Day party today, but never got a chance during the day. Carson went to bed early last night, so I made them quick after he was sleeping. They were super easy to make and they are so yummy!! My glaze is a little thinner than I'd like, but they still taste great! Oh, and I forgot to add the egg - d'oh! I didn't realize it till I'd put the first tray in the oven. I thought they'd come out with a weird texture or be super crumbly or something, without the addition of the binder. But they actually seem to be totally fine. Good thing!

Lemon Blueberry Cookies

1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour (organic)
Zest of two large lemons
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. (3 oz.) unsalted butter, at room temperature (I used organic extra-virgin coconut oil)
¾ cup granulated sugar (organic and free-trade certified)
1 large egg (forgot this!)
½ tsp. vanilla extract (organic)
1/3 cup buttermilk
Fresh blueberries (I used frozen)

Glaze:
Confectioners sugar
Fresh lemon juice
Lemon zest

Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, add the sugar and lemon zest. Rub them together with your fingers until well mixed. This brings out the lemon flavor.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar/lemon mixture and beat until pale and fluffy. Add the egg, and beat well to mix. Add the vanilla, and beat on low. Mix in the flour mixture and the buttermilk in batches at low speed, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.

Drop the dough by level tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets, leave about 1 ½ inches between each cookie. Tuck 4-5 blueberries into each cookie. Try to make sure they are hidden. Bake one sheet at a time for about 11 minutes. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes; then transfer them to a wire rack.

For the glaze, whisk together the sifted confectioners sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest. I never measure, just guess until you get the right consistency and flavor. Drizzle the glaze over the cookies.

No comments: