Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Enchilada Bake

Last night we had an enchilada bake for dinner. Kevin's sister, Julie, made this for us as a freezer meal after Carson was born. It was very good and I got the recipe from her. This was the first time I've made it myself and it was super easy to do. Kevin and I both love mexican food, but its not the most healthy of cuisines so I try to limit the frequency that we have it. I tried to use lighter or somewhat healthier versions of the ingredients called for in this recipe, but I know its still not the most healthy of recipes. Its a nice treat every so often, though. I made a little extra filling so that I could make an extra 8x8 dish for the freezer to have one night in a few months.

Enchilada Bake

1lb. ground beef (I used half extra lean ground turkey and half lean grass-fed hormone-free ground beef)
1 onion (I used a small one)
2 cups of salsa
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed (I used a jar of organic black beans) (I also added a can of organic fat free refried black beans for a little extra protein and fiber)
¼ cup Kraft zesty Italian dressing (I used fat free)
1 packet taco seasoning (I use the 40% less sodium stuff)
6 8-inch flour tortillas (I used whole wheat)
1 cup of sour cream (I used light)
shredded cheddar cheese (I used about 1/2 cup of a 2% blend)

Line a 9x13 pan with foil. Brown meat with seasoning and onion. Add salsa, beans, dressing, and mix. Arrange single layer of tortillas on bottom of dish, cover with half of the meat mixture, then half of the sour cream. Repeat layers. Sprinkle cheese on top. Cover with foil. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil, bake additional 10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

No comments: