Monday, November 2, 2009

Crockpot Italian Wedding Soup

Yesterday, I made italian wedding soup in the crockpot using a recipe from RecipeZaar. I've made italian wedding soup several times in the past, but its been quite a while. And I'd never used the crockpot. We love italian wedding soup and this recipe was awesome! Carson loved it - he scarfed his serving down and wanted more! The recipe below calls for meatballs - I made my own, which takes a little longer, but they're way better than the ones you buy, in my opinion. I just thawed a pound of ground beef, added some chopped onion, and garlic powder. Then I formed mini meatballs and baked them for about 7 minutes. I also used cooked/shredded turkey since that's what I came across first in the freezer - it worked out well. Its definitely easier to let the crockpot do all the work than to make this on the stovetop like I have in the past... this will be the way I do it from now on, for sure! This recipe makes quite a bit. We had my parents and sister over for dinner and we still had enough leftover for another dinner for the three of us (which I froze). I forgot to take a picture.

Crockpot Italian Wedding Soup

16 1/2 ounces meatballs (I made my own)
6 cups chicken broth (I used 4 cups home-canned stock and 2 cups water with organic BTB)
1 cup cooked chicken, chopped (I used turkey since that's what I found in the freezer first)
1/2 cup carrot, diced (from the garden and I added about a cup)
1/2 cup celery, diced (from the garden and I added about a cup)
1/4 (8 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted (I used about 1/2 pound fresh)
garlic salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1/4 cup romano cheese (I used parm-reggiano)
1/4 cup acini di pepe pasta

Pop the meatballs in the microwave for 1 minute on defrost so you can quarter them. (or make your own!) Combine rest of ingredients except pasta in crock pot and cook all day on low. Add the pasta during the last hour of cooking. This freezes well.

2 comments:

The Voogts said...

This sounds like a tastey, filling soup. Good work making your own meatballs. I've never boughten meatballs before. They kind of scare me :P I'll have to try this sometime. The crockpot is definitely the way to go.

Sara said...

Yeah, I've had the store-bought meatballs before and they taste fake... like the hamburgers in the hot lunch back in elementary school... I don't like them. :) Making your own meatballs really doesn't take much time at all. Tops 20 minutes total, including the cook-time! Not bad.