Sunday, February 6, 2011

Meal plans and the week ahead

Back to reality this week.  Our vacation last week got extended unexpectedly due to the blizzard that blew through Michigan on Tuesday/Wednesday... right when we were supposed to be flying home.  We flew from Tucson to Denver to find out our flight to Grand Rapids had been canceled (again).  Thankfully we have some  friends in Denver who took us in for three days until we could get a flight to Michigan.  I have to say that we are pretty lucky to have such awesome friends - both in Arizona and Colorado!  And I am pretty lucky to have spent some time with both of my best friends in a week's time!

So this week is going to be pretty busy. We have a lot of catching up to do since we've been gone.  Especially since we just took it easy and relaxed most of the day yesterday.  I have a lot of prep to do before Carson's birthday parties in two weeks.  I'll be doing a lot of prep this week.  I still need to finalize plans for food, but I think I've figured out what we'll eat at the parties.  And I bought most of the decorations and accessories for the party before our trip.  I am going to go through everything today and see if I'm missing anything.  I'll also be getting the silverware wrapped with the napkins and the favor bags for the kids put together.  I still need to figure out if we'll play any games and get those prepped, too.

I'm very glad I made some kefir before we left.  Since we didn't fly in until late Friday night, we missed our milk pickup again last week.  So I can't make kefir again until I pick up our milk this Friday.  I am craving our raw milk!  So is Carson!  I'm not entirely sure what else I'll be making this week.  I have some ideas, which are included below. 

Sunday ~ party prep; cleaning; dinner at in-laws'; Super Bowl
(bake honey whole wheat bread; make meatballs and freeze?; roll party silverware; make favor bags; determine party games)
B: kefir smoothies; pancakes (for Kevin and Carson)
L: crockpot chicken noodle soup with homemade stock and noodles; fresh baked bread
D: tacos dinner at in-laws' house for father's-in-law birthday

Monday ~ 
B: muffins from freezer
D: lasagna from freezer; garlic toast; steamed broccoli

Tuesday ~ WAPF meeting
B: apples with peanut butter
D: nachos with leftover taco meat tacos and nachos

Wednesday ~ Carson's soccer
B: toast with peanut butter
D: portable... peanut butter sandwiches; carrots with ranch; apple slices

Thursday ~ 
B: apples with peanut butter
D: loaded baked potatoes with leftover taco meat; side salads; broccoli and cauliflower

Friday ~ milk/CSA pickup
(make dairy kefir; make yogurt; make granola)
B: pumpkin scones from freezer
D: tbd

Saturday ~ Carson's pictures; Calvin basketball game; birthday celebration
(finish yogurt)
B: kefir smoothies
L: peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
D: Olga's in Grand Rapids

1 comment:

The Voogts said...

Welcome home! Enjoy your week of playing catch up. Looking forward to Sat. I sent you a couple fb messages about changes in plans. Let me know what you think.