Wednesday, February 16, 2011

2011 Veggie Garden - Heirloom Tomato and Pepper Transplants

Ok, so yesterday I told you I was going to order all of my vegetable transplants from my CSA Farmer's Market.  Well, I changed my mind... at least partially.  I will still definitely be ordering some transplants from the CSA, but I decided last night to put in an order for live plants through Seed Savers Exchange after seeing their offerings.  Just like I did last year, I'm only going to grow heirloom tomatoes and peppers.  I just think the taste and quality are far superior to any non-heirlooms I've ever tasted or grown.  I know my CSA will offer Brandywine tomato transplants, so I'll definitely pick up a couple of those plants, as well as a few other varieties, I'm sure.  But my mouth seriously started watering when I was reading the descriptions on the Seed Savers site.  And I knew I had to order some...

Gold Medal Tomato

Amish Paste Tomato

Italian Tomato

King of the North Bell Pepper





This is posted as part of Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop.

2 comments:

The Voogts said...

Yum!!! Can't wait for fresh tomatoes. Nothing like it. I could eat them like apples (Justin thinks I'm crazy :P). Those chocolate peppers look great! I've never heard of those. You'll have to let me know how they turn out. Very anxious for fresh peppers too. Summer can't come soon enough :)

Sara said...

I grew chocolate peppers 2 years ago when I started my own seedlings. They were really fun! And sweeter than a green or red bell... more like an orange or yellow, so I really liked them! :) I am going to put in a lot more pepper plants than I normally do this year. Safe peppers are just so expensive, so it'll be so much more economical to grow a lot more so I can limit the ones I have to buy.