Monday, April 6, 2009

Crustless Quiche

Today I made a crustless quiche to use up some eggs and veggies from my fridge and freezer. I used a recipe that my SIL Mary made a few weeks back as my base recipe, but I changed it up a bit. Ours was meatless and I used a variety of veggies - onions, carrots, celery, orange bell pepper, green beans, peas, spinach. I think I actually threw in a few too many veggies since my pie plate was very, very full - it kept spilling over the side when I was trying to get it from the counter to the fridge and then to the oven. But it was still yummy. I love quiche, Carson loves quiche, Kevin could take it or leave it, but he's going to have to suck it up from now on because I think it will become more of a regular thing since it goes over so well with Carson. Surprisingly, though, Kevin actually really liked this quiche tonight - he declared it as the "best quiche he's ever had" and thought it was "actually really good."

Crustless Quiche

2 cups cream, half and half, milk, or a combination of those
6 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese (I used co-jack)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. kosher salt (I used garlic powder instead)
small pinch grated nutmeg or cayenne (I used nutmeg)
veggies - I used half of a medium-sized yellow onion, one finely chopped carrot, one finely chopped stalk of celery, half a bell pepper, about 3/4 cup frozen green beans, about 1 1/2 cups frozen spinach, and about 3/4 cup frozen peas

I sauteed all of my veggies with a little butter spray first, to soften them a little. Then I whisked the eggs and milk together, added the cheese, then added the veggies. Pour into a greased pie plate, covered it, and put it in the fridge overnight (I prepped the night before). I baked the quiche at 350 for about 40 minutes, then turned it up to 375 for another 20 minutes until it was set.

1 comment:

The Voogts said...

Glad you liked it! I'll have to make another quiche during our GF month :) Maybe I'll try some different veggies.