Sunday, November 14, 2010

Crockpot Apricot Chicken

I made apricot chicken in the crockpot for dinner a few weeks back. The recipe is from A Year of Slowcooking. I used some homemade preserves that I bought from a woman at the farmers' market. They're made from apricots from a tree in her yard which she grows organically and cans with natural sweeteners. So I felt pretty good about using it to make this dish. I'm glad I tried it, it is very good! We all liked it a lot. It has a sweet flavor, but its not overly sweet. It'd be good to serve with rice so it could absorb some of the sauce... we had a lot of sauce leftover in the crockpot.

Crockpot Apricot Chicken

11 oz jar of apricot preserves (homemade with natural sweeteners)
1 teaspoon dried minced onion flakes (I just chopped some fresh onion and added it)
1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon soy sauce (I used worscestershire)
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional, I left this out)
6 chicken thighs or equivalent body parts

Place the chicken into your crockpot. In a small bowl, mix all the sauce ingredients. Pour on top of the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, high for 4-6 hours.

2 comments:

Mary Voogt said...

I remember seeing this recipe. But it never appealed to me. Sounded too sweet I think. But maybe not? Glad you guys liked it.

Sara said...

Nope, its not. The onion, dijon, and worscestershire really balance out the sweetness. I wasn't sure i'd like it b/c I don't like sweet meat, but this wasn't bad at all.