Monday, September 13, 2010

Canned Pasta Sauce

Back in mid-August, I canned a couple batches of pasta sauce. I used my SIL's recipe for sauce, with a couple modifications. I didn't make it quite as sweet as she does, with a little less brown sugar and no cloves. I also was sure to add 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice to each jar, as you should with any tomato based canned item, to ensure the proper acidity. I am very excited to have this on hand for pasta dishes - it was so delicious pre-processing!

Pasta Sauce
Makes 5-7 pints

1/2 green pepper, chopped (I used about 1 1/2 peppers)
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1/3 cup oil (I didn't use nearly this much, maybe only about a teaspoon of EVOO)
(I added some diced zucchini)
12 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup water
1 cube beef bouillion (I used organic better than bouillion)
2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 can (12 oz.) tomato paste
1/4 cup brown sugar (I added a little less than this)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves (I did not use this)
(1 Tablespoon bottled lemon juice per pint jar - use 2 T for quarts)

Saute pepper, onion, garlic and oil and any other veggies you like. Stir in tomatoes and cook 5 min. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer until desired consistencey, for about 1/2 hour - 1 hour. Place lemon juice in your jars and fill with sauce. Process in boiling water bath for 35 minutes.

1 comment:

The Voogts said...

Glad you like it! We've never had an issue w/o lemon juice. And we've used jars a couple years old.