Sunday, May 31, 2015

Dairy Free Breakfast Cookies

Today, I finally tried the soaked version of a recipe I've made quite a few times... Just never the soaked version.  Breakfast Cookies!  I found the recipe many years ago on Heavenly Homemakers, and I've adapted the recipe slightly (since I don't bake with dairy to allow my daughter to enjoy everything) based off my sister-in-law's version at Homemade Dutch Apple Pie.  And yes, you read that right... A cookie for breakfast.  Who's kid wouldn't love that?!  :) 

These cookies are cakey and filling.  You can load them up with all sorts of add-ins, dried fruit, nuts, shredded coconut, mini chocolate chips, etc.  We don't eat nuts at our house (my daughter is allergic), so we skip the nuts, but they'd be a delicious and nutritious addition.  

I think we all agreed that we prefer the soaked version, as it lends a softer, moister cookie.  Not to mention, soaking the grains allows your body to digest them much more easily.  

I love that this recipe makes quite a few breakfast cookies, so I can make a batch and freeze lots for future breakfasts.  Considering we've been really slacking on nutritious breakfasts lately, I can't even tell you how excited I am to have a stash of these in the freezer now! 




Dairy Free Giant Breakfast Cookies

1 cup coconut oil, melted
¾ cup honey (can sub some for maple syrup)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup water + 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups whole rolled oats
1 1/2 cups dried fruit, mini chocolate chips (the Enjoy Life brand is free of allergens), nuts, shredded coconut, etc.

Melt coconut oil on the stovetop. In a glass bowl, stir together flour, oats, coconut oil and water/lemon juice.  Be sure all of the grains are moistened.  If not, add another tablespoon of water at a time until everything is moistened.  
Cover and let the grains soak overnight, or at least for 8 hours. 

In the morning, stir in the remaining ingredients.  Scoop heaping tablespoons of dough onto a cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Allow cookies to cool 3-4 minutes on cookie sheet before removing cookies to cool on a wire rack.  

No comments: