Saturday, August 7, 2010

Cream of Celery Soup

Local celery has been in season for the last couple of weeks, so I've been stocking up as much as I can. I've frozen quite a bit for use in soups and stews, but I also wanted to can some cream of celery soup. Cream of celery is my favorite cream soup. By making it myself, I know exactly what is in it and can use all local, high-quality, sustainably-grown ingredients. I also avoid the preservatives, MSG, GMOs, BPA, pesticides, etc. that you ingest when you buy the commercial branded cream soups. I got this recipe from a Yahoo! canning group that I belong to. This is a really easy soup to make. It only took about 20-30 minutes to prep the ingredients, make the soup, fill the jars, and get them in the canner. I'm planning to get more celery from my CSA next week so I can do up another batch since I wasn't thinking and only ordered enough celery for one batch this week.

Cream of Celery Soup

1/3 cup butter
3 cups celery, 1/4" dice
1/2 cup sweet onion, 1/4" dice
1/3 cup finely diced celery leaves (set aside)
1 quart vegetable broth
1 quart chicken broth
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
1/4 tsp. ground celery seed
1 tsp. lemon juice
3/4 cup Clearjel

Melt butter. Add celery and onion and sauté until crisp tender. Add broth, saving 1 cup to mix with the Clearjel. Add the seasonings, lemon juice, and the reserved celery leaves. Mix the Clearjel with the reserved broth. Mix all ingredients and heat until it boils, stirring often.

Put in jars and process in pressure canner for 45 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure.

Makes 5 pints

2 comments:

The Voogts said...

Looks good! I have yet to make homemade cream soup. Someday... :P I just never use it in the first place, so it's not urgent.

Sara said...

I don't really use it much lately, either. But I do enjoy having it on hand for when I need it. I've still got quite a bit of cream of mushroom soup, too.