Friday, January 15, 2010

Crockpot Pork Cacciatore

I tried out a crockpot recipe that I found on AllRecipes for pork cacciatore for dinner last night. It was delicious! We all loved it! The chops were super tender and everything had such great flavor. I simplified the prep - see my notes in parentheses below - to make it super simple to prepare. This is a definite keeper that will go into our regular rotation of meals. The picture isn't the greatest because the meat just falls apart, its so tender.

Crockpot Pork Cacciatore

2 tablespoons olive oil (didn't use this)
1 onion, sliced
4 boneless pork chops (mine had bones)
1 (28 ounce) jar pasta sauce (I used home-canned sauce)
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (fire-roasted)
1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 cup dry white wine (I used BTB chicken mixed with water)
4 slices mozzarella cheese (we didn't put cheese on ours)

In a large skillet, brown chops over medium-high heat. Transfer to slow cooker. In the same pan, cook onion in oil over medium heat until browned. Stir in mushrooms and bell pepper, and cook until these vegetables are soft. Mix in pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, and white wine. Season with Italian seasoning, basil, and garlic. Pour over pork chops in slow cooker. Cook on Low for 7 to 8 hours. To serve, place a slice of cheese over each chop, and cover with sauce. (I didn't use cheese... to save on some calories... it was still delicious... but cheese always makes things even better, so I'm sure it'd be awesome with it.)

(I put the onions on the bottom of the crock. Then the pork, then mushrooms and peppers. Then I poured the sauce, tomatoes, broth, and seasonings over top. Much simpler.)

1 comment:

The Voogts said...

Sounds yummy. Before I got to the end of your post I was thinking, why cook all those veggies if they are going in the crockpot? I guess you thought the same thing ;)