Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Biggest Loser, Week 6

This week brings a new exercise program. It is going to be challenging for me to carve out more time to dedicate to exercise, but I just plain have to do it right now. Not only to get myself healthy, but to win this Biggest Loser Challenge!! :)

First off, I started the kettlebell 60-Day Challenge on Saturday. Its a 60-day program that uses the Busy Woman's Cardio & Fat Burning DVD. I thought it would be a good thing for me to sign up for the challenge, rather than just exercise to the video on my own. I get daily emails with tips and guidelines for the workouts. Each day involves a 15-30 minute kettlebell workout... right now they're only about 15 minutes and they'll increase in length as I progress through the challenge. Three days into it and I'm loving it! I sure am sore, though! :)

Secondly, I had planned to start my "Couch to 5K" training program on Sunday. But... we've had a few more snafoos with the fitness room. I went to help Kevin put the carpet in on Sunday evening... and it is about a foot too small on both sides! We were just using a remnant from my aunt, but we thought it was going to fit... nope. So we went out last night and bought some carpet at a local carpet dealer... it is being installed on Thursday. The carpet was the easy one, though... we went to move the treadmill into the room on Sunday evening and realized the safety key is missing! I know its around our house SOMEwhere... but we don't have the time to tear everything apart looking for it. So I ordered a new one online... and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will, indeed, fit when it arrives! Our treadmill was given to us my some of my family, so its an older model and its not easy to know if the key is actually the right one... So, as soon as the key arrives in the mail (assuming it fits and works!), I'll be starting up my 5K training. I'll be following the 9-week schedule from CoolRunning. Only I will be doubling and maybe tripling up the weeks... I'll do the week 1 schedule for two weeks in a row so that I am getting into it even more gradually. Basically, I'll move on to the next week when I feel like I am ready. Most of the program consists of walk/run intervals. This will burn more calories and fat and actually make me faster and increase stamina more than just straight running would do. I'll be doing my 5K training on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays for the time being (will have to change once Zumba starts in a few weeks). I will do three 20-minute workouts during week 1... each consisting of a brisk five-minute warmup walk, followed by alternating 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

In addition, I continue to do yoga or pilates one day a week. I'm also continuing to do at least one 15-minute walk during the work days with my friends, Lina and Lisa - sometimes we are able to fit in two walks, but we are pretty good at getting in one at least. I also make sure to do the stairs at least once a day, but usually I'm able to do them two or three times. I very rarely take the elevator when going to meetings anymore - I almost always opt for the stairs now. I've also been getting some pedaling in while I'm reading reports. My SIL let me borrow her pedal exerciser to try out and see how I like it. Its nice to get a little more movement into my day. Thanks, Mary!

So here's what my current exercise schedule looks like (I am including the 5K training since that will start later this week, as soon as the key arrives.) You'll see I haven't factored in a day of rest yet... I may or may not change that if I feel like I need it.

Sunday - 15-30 minutes of kettlebells; 5K training; 15 minutes of stretching

Monday - 15-minute walk; stairs; 10-15 minutes pedaling; 15-30 minutes of kettlebells

Tuesday - 15-minute walk; stairs; 10-15 minutes pedaling; 15-30 minutes of kettlebells; 5K training

Wednesday - 15-minute walk; stairs; 10-15 minutes pedaling; yoga or pilates

Thursday - 15-minute walk; stairs; 10-15 minutes pedaling; 15-30 minutes of kettlebells; 5K training

Friday - 15-minute walk; stairs; 10-15 minutes pedaling; 15-30 minutes of kettlebells; 15 minutes of stretching

Saturday - 15-30 minutes of kettlebells; 15 minutes brisk walk on treadmill; 15 minutes stationary bike

I'm really focusing on keeping a positive attitude towards all this additional exercise. Its the only way I'll make it! :) I am kind of looking forward to it all, actually... or at least to seeing the results! I already feel so much better than I have in awhile. So anyway, on to the numbers...

This week's weight loss = a big fat zero. I am so bummed out about that! I've been extra good about eating this past week and have been working my butt off exercising! Although, I have read that when you do start pushing your muscles more than you were (which I have been these last three days especially), your muscles will retain a lot of water as they repair themselves... but they will shed that water retention as they get used to it. I hope that's the case and I see big results next week!

And in closing... I've been doing lots of reading lately... on the web, in books, and in magazines. I've come across lots of great info and I want to share some of the tips I find... mostly for new things I learn that could benefit everyone. First up is a stretch that I came across in the Women's Health Big Book of Exercises...

Doorway Stretch -
What it does: Loosens your pectoralis minor. Almost everyone who works at a desk has stiff pectoralis minor muscles. When they are stiff, they pull your shoulder blades forward, which makes you appear hunched instead of tall and straight.
How to do it: Bend your right arm 90 degrees into the high-five position. Place your forearm against a door frame. Step through the doorway with your right foot until you feel a comfortable stretch in your chest and front of your shoulder. Switch arms and legs and repeat for your other side. Hold the stretch for 30 seconds on each side. Repeat for a total of three sets. Do this daily, up to three times a day if you are really tight.

1 comment:

The Voogts said...

Keep up the good work!!! I'm praying for you.