Sunday, January 18, 2009

Meat Sauce

This afternoon, I made up a huge batch (double recipe) of meat sauce. This recipe is one that my family has used for as long as I can remember. Its super simple and really good - not too sweet, not too spicy. The regular recipe (below) makes a ton of sauce. We usually make it up, use whatever we're going to fresh, then freeze the rest. Today I reserved enough for my veggie lasagna before I added the meat, then made my two meat lasagnas and pressure canned the rest. I now have 3 quarts and 6 pints of canned meat sauce.

Meat Sauce

2 pounds ground beef (I used all-natural, lean)
4 (28 oz) large cans tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
1 cup dried parsley
2 Tablespoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the meat, drain the grease. Add all the ingredients together. Bring to a boil and simmer for one hour.

To pressure can it, fill the jars leaving a 1-inch headspace. Then process at 10 pounds of pressure for 75 minutes (only need 60 minutes for pints, but I did the entire batch at once, so did mine all for 75 minutes).

4 comments:

The Voogts said...

Nice work! I really can't wait to use my pressure canner now :)

Sara said...

Thanks! I love my pressure canner - so glad that I got it right off the bat. It doubles as a boiling water canner so you don't have to have two huge pots around, too. :)

tamilyn said...

I don't can. I am thinking I could just pack in freezer-safe storage containers and freeze? Shelf life would be, maybe 6 months?

Sara said...

You can definitely pack into freezer-safe storage containers and freeze for about 6 months. That's what I've always done until now I have the pressure canner.