Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Black Bean Burrito Bake

I tried out a recipe from Cooking Light last night for black bean burritos. They were so good - a definite keeper! It is a quick and easy meal, plus its very affordable. The original recipe doesn't contain meat, but you could very easily add some shredded chicken, pork, or beef if you didn't want a meatless meal. I'll make a few changes the next time I make them to give them some more flavor, but they were great as-is. Very filling! I made a double batch because Kevin tends to be a big eater and I'd wanted some leftovers for lunches. One of these burritos is definitely very filling, though. I didn't have time to make the mexican rice I'd planned to make with them, but that worked out okay since these were so satisfying. Next time, I'll add even more seasoning to the bean-corn-sour cream mixture. I added cumin and chili powder this time, about 1/2 teaspoon of each, I'll double that at least next time. And I'll have to remember to add the chipotle pepper with the adobo sauce next time, too - I totally forgot about that since I was going off of memory on the recipe when I threw it together last night. I think I'll add the salsa and cheese into the bean mixture, too, rather than having it on top. I think it'd be even better that way. I used my home-canned organic black turtle beans; and my home-canned salsa which isn't technicaly organic since my tomato, pepper, and jalapeno plants weren't from organic seeds, but I'd say its all-natural.

I'll update with a picture later in the week.

Black Bean Burrito Bake

1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (I totally forgot to add this!)
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
Cooking spray
1 cup bottled salsa
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
(I also added about 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin and chili powder)

Preheat oven to 350°.

Remove one chile from can. Chop chile. Reserve remaining adobo sauce and chiles for another use. Combine sour cream and chile in a medium bowl; let stand 10 minutes.

Place half of beans in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add chopped beans, remaining beans, and corn to sour cream mixture.

Spoon 1/2 cup bean mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up tortillas; place, seam side down, in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread salsa over tortillas; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

3 comments:

The Voogts said...

These sound great! I have everything in the house, too, except tortillas :P I'll have to look for some at Harvest Health.

Jaime and Jeff said...

You could even use organic whole grain tortillas - I tried some last week for chicken tacos, and they were so good!!

Sara said...

That is the beauty of this dinner, most of us probably have all of the ingredients in our homes already. I love recipes like that!

I am going to start buying organic whole wheat tortillas, but I was just using up what I had in the freezer. I still have about 4 or 5 more tortillas to use up, then I'll be getting organic from here on out.

Hey Jaim, let me know if you want to take a trip down to Trader Joe's some Saturday morning/afternoon with Carson and I. Its in Rochester Hills.