Thursday, December 25, 2008

Overnight French Toast Bake

Last night I prepped an overnight french toast bake to have for breakfast this morning. I got the recipe from Jaime's Aunt Pati. She made it for Jaime's and Jeff's day-after-the-wedding-day brunch and it was so good I asked her for the recipe. This is very simple to make and you don't even need syrup with it since the syrup bakes with it. I used a 13x9 inch pan as the recipe suggests, but next time I think I'll use an 11x17 inch pan so that the bread isn't overlapping as much. I'm guessing that's what Pati did since hers wasn't soggy at all... and mine was kind of soggy in the parts of the bread that were overlapped. Even with some sogginess, this was awesome to have on Christmas morning!

Overnight French Toast Bake

2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 16oz. loaf white bread, unsliced (I used whole wheat since that's what I had)
1 1/2 cups milk
5 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a pan on the stovetop, combine the light corn syrup, butter, and brown sugar. Simmer until syrup-like, about 7 minutes. Pour half of the mixture in the bottom of a 13x9 inch pan. Slice bread into 1-inch slices and place on top of mixture in pan. Pour remaining syrup mixture over top of bread slices.

Combine eggs, milk, salt, and vanilla. Beat until mixed well. Pour over bread.

Cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, uncover pan and bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until brown.

1 comment:

Mary Voogt said...

This looks really good!