Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Few of My Favorite Things

Being the holiday gift-giving season, I thought it'd be fun to list a few of my favorite things - kitchen/cooking/baking specific. Please post your favorite things in the comments or on your own blog so that we can all get some ideas for some gift ideas either for others or for ourselves. :)

My favorite appliances would have to be my KitchenAid Stand Mixer (I have the 6-quart lift bowl model), my bread machine, and my immersion stick blender. Probably in that order. Even though the KitchenAid is large and heavy, I love how easy it is to use and the versatility of it. I've used it for mixing cookies and cakes, whipped/mashed potatoes, kneading bread dough. Plus there are so many fun attachments that make this a multi-purpose appliance - ice cream makers, pasta rollers/cutters, meat grinders, etc. I just love it. I love the time that my bread machine saves me. I haven't used it all that much yet this year, but I generally do use it quite often in the winter. I love just being able to dump in the ingredients and let the machine do the work. Plus, I know the bread I make with it is more healthy than the store-bought breads and I know exactly what is in mine. The immersion stick blender is another handy appliance. I have some different attachments that came with mine, so not only is it great for pureeing soups and other things, but I can use mine as a chopper and as a mini food processor.

My favorite kitchen gadgets would probably have to be my digital read thermometer, silpat baking sheets, and my santoku knives. My digital thermometer is very quick to register the temperature and also has a long cord so that you can have the thermometer in the meat in the oven and have the read-out screen on your counters. Its very handy for me when cooking new meats especially. And depending on how the meat is being cooked, it can be difficult to tell how done it is, so I use my thermometer quite often. I love the silpat baking sheet liners because clean-up is a breeze and the cookies never burn on the bottoms. A couple of my cookie sheets have a darker coating on them and have always burned the bottoms of the cookies, but not when I use the silpats. I love my santoku chopping knives. I have three different santokus, all different sizes and brands. I love them all.

1 comment:

The Voogts said...

Nice post. Maybe someday I'll give in and get a stand mixer. For now everything is done with some arm muscle and a hand mixer :)

I too love my immersion blender. I haven't even tried the chopper part yet. In the instructions it says you can make baby food with it. Maybe I'll have to give it a try.