Sunday, March 6, 2011

Cheese Crisps (Grain-Free Cheese Crackers)

I've actually had these several times in the past, but I've just never made them myself.  My aunt made them for a few different family parties during her different low-carb diet phases.  They were always very tasty!  I always thought that I should make some of my own at some point, but just never have gotten around to it.  Then I saw the recipe posted on Joyful Abode and figured I'd make some this afternoon.  I used some local, organic co-jack cheese for these.  I want to make some with parmesan soon (which my aunt has made and they are sooo good!), but figured I'd just make one kind today.  I made some plain, some I sprinkled with garlic powder, some I sprinkled with a tomato-basil spice mix, and some I sprinkled with my homemade ranch dressing mix.  All of them are great! 

These will be nice to have on hand for snacks and lunches.  All three of us really like these a lot, too.  And they're a great way to cut some grains out of your diet. 

Cheese Crisps

your favorite block of cheese OR your favorite shredded cheese
seasonings of your choice (optional)
parchment paper

Preheat your oven to 350.  Put some parchment paper on a cookie sheet.

I used a block of cheese, but you can use shredded cheese if that's what you have, or what you prefer.  If you’re using shredded cheese, toss it together in a bowl with any seasonings you feel like using.  You can try lots of different seasoning options.  Just don't use salt... cheese is already salty enough on its own. Once you have the shredded cheese and seasoings mixed, place about a teaspoonful of cheese in little mounds all over the parchment-lined cookie sheet, spaced out because they will spread.

If you’re using a block of cheese, slice it thinly and cut it into little squares. About an inch square is good. Again, they will spread out, so place these on the parchment-lined cookie sheet with some space between them.

Bake for 5-7 minutes. Then take a peek. The cheese will be all bubbly. 

If the edges are starting to crisp up or brown a little, take them out.  If you’re not sure, leave it in for another minute or two.  I had to leave mine in for about 10 minutes.  If you take them out too soon, you won't get crisps... you'll just have rubbery melted cheese. 

When you remove them from the oven, you’ll need to let them cool. I just pulled the parchment off the cookie sheet and placed it on my cool, granite counters.  If you don't have cool to the touch counters, then place the crisps on a cool plate.  After a few minutes, they’ll be crisp.



4 comments:

The Voogts said...

Yum. I may have to try these. I often miss having something crunchy when I'm eating grain free.

Sara said...

They're so easy to make, you should definiitely try them! Its amazing how the texture is very much like a normal cracker, too! Its great!

Sarah, The Healthy Home Economist said...

Oh my! I love this idea. I love cheese crackers and Cheez Its were the ultimate junk food for me back in the day. Thanks for sharing this easy easy idea for a very healthy, fast snack at Monday Mania this week! :)

The Voogts said...

Tried them last night. Yum!!!