Sunday, September 5, 2010

Meal plans and the week ahead

We have another fun week ahead of us again this week. This entire month is a really busy one for us... we pretty much have plans every flex Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from now till mid-October. I'm not quite sure how we're going to fit in all the fall chores and clean up with all the fun stuff we have planned. But we'll figure it out. We got a good start yesterday. I cleaned up both of the front gardens, cutting back the perennials, trimming the tree and bushes, and weeding. I need to do the side garden still... maybe I'll go out and do that one this morning to get it done. Then I'll just have the backyard gardens.

We are headed to the lake this afternoon for a family party for Labor Day. We may be heading out to Grand Rapids for Kevin's Grandpa's birthday tomorrow, depending on what the plans end up being. Tuesday I am going to Zumba. Wednesday I'll be stopping at the Allen Street Farmers Market. Thursday is Kevin's bike night. Friday is CSA and milk pickup. Saturday we are headed to Grand Rapids to meet my SIL and niece at the Children's Museum in the morning.

Like I said, Friday I pick up milk and our CSA order. All the fall produce is coming in and I'm so excited about it! This week, I've ordered more broccoli, green beans, celery, onions, roma tomatoes, zucchini, butternut squash, sugar pie pumpkins, and rouge vif d'etampes pumpkins. I'll be blanching and freezing the broccoli and beans, chopping and freezing the celery and onions, and roasting and freezing (with some kept for eating, too!) the squash and pumpkins. I'm not sure if I'll get to the squash and pumpkins this week, or not... but they'll be ok if I don't. And I'll be making the lacto-fermened roasted tomato salsa with the romas... I ended up not doing it last week and just canned roasted tomatoes instead. I got everything else done that I had on my list last week, too... plus a few other things... which you'll hopefully be seeing on the blog soon!

I'm not really sure what else I'm going to do for extras yet this week. I need to give it more thought and I'll try to update once I figure it out. :)

Update... I think I know what I'm going to do this week... I'm going to try a new method for sourdough bread from the Sourdough E-Course. I'll use this new method to make some new english muffins (we're out from the last batch I made), bread, and maybe some cinnamon rolls, too.

Sunday ~ family party
(make sourdough bucket dough)
B: scrambled eggs with veggies
L & D: family party at the lake

Monday ~ Labor Day, Grand Rapids?
(make sourdough english muffins with bucket method and possibly bread and cinnamon rolls)
B: yogurt with fruit and granola
L: in GR?

D: TBD... some kind of soup in the crockpot

Tuesday ~ Zumba
B: muffins from freezer
D: tacos

Wednesday ~ Allen St. Mkt
B: kefir smoothies
D: baked pork chops; roasted buttercup squash; corn on the cob; fresh fall raspberries

Thursday ~ Kevin's bike night
B: yogurt with granola and berries
D: grilled salmon; grilled zucchini; carrots; fresh melon

Friday ~ milk and CSA pickup
(blanch and freeze broccoli and green beans; chop and freeze celery and onions; roast squash and pumpkins to freeze?)
B: muffins from freezer
D: whole wheat couscous with sun dried tomatoes, spinach, roasted veggies, and yogurt cheese

Saturday ~ GRCM
B: scrambled eggs with veggies
L: picnic in the park
D: TBD... most likely something in the crockpot

No comments: