Monday, May 4, 2009

Spinach and Mushroom Frittata

Tonight I made a spinach and mushroom frittata. I used this recipe as my base, but if you read through the instructions in the recipe, it bakes like a quiche, not like a frittata. So I cooked mine like a normal frittata is done - on the stovetop and under the broiler. It turned out very tasty! I just love spinach and mushrooms together, though. Anyway, this was super easy and cooks faster than a quiche does, so I think I'll probably be doing more frittatas from now on, too. I posted the original recipe below with my changes in parentheses.

Spinach and Mushroom Frittata

1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed thoroughly to remove liquid
4 eggs or equivalent egg substitute
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I used about 1/4 cup Parm and 1/2 cup shredded Swiss)
3/4 cup chopped portobello mushrooms (I used more than this... I just used an entire 8oz package of mushrooms and chopped them up)
1/2 cup finely chopped scallions with some green tops
1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasonings
1 pinch Salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. (I preheated my broiler instead).

In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients until well mixed. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray and fill with the spinach mixture. Bake for 30 minutes, or until browned and set. Let cool for 20 minutes, cut in wedges and serve.

(I started by sauteing the mushrooms in a bit of olive oil cooking spray in an oven-proof skillet. After they were cooked down and soft, I added the spinach still frozen and sauteed a little longer. I then added the green onions and removed the skillet from the heat. I whisked the eggs, ricotta, parm, swiss, and seasonings together in a bowl. I added the veggies to this and mixed till combined. Then poured it all back into the skillet. I cooked it on about medium heat for probably 15 minutes or so... till the middle was just starting to set. Then I popped it under the broiler for 5-10 minutes till it was set and browned.)

No comments: