Sunday, August 17, 2008

Zucchini Casserole

Tonight I tried another new recipe from RecipeZaar for a zucchini casserole. Its a great way to use up those veggies from the garden. I thought it was really good, Kevin thought it was okay. He ate it and ate two helpings if that says anything, but I don't think he'd request it again. I'll probably make it again anyway, though. It reminded me of a quiche, or maybe similar consistency to a breakfast casserole. I added some extra veggies and next time I think I'll add even more if I have them on hand. Some salsa would probably be really good in this, or even on top of this, too.

Zucchini Casserole

1 cup Bisquick (I don't buy Bisquick, so I substituted 1 cup flour + 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder + 1/2 teaspoon salt + 1 Tablespoon shortening)
1/2 cup chopped onion (from our garden!)
1/2 cup grated cheese (I just used a colby-jack medley I had in the fridge and I added about a cup)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/4 cup canola oil + just less than 1/4 cup water)
4 eggs (I used farm-fresh, hormone-free brown eggs)
3 cups thinly sliced zucchini (I used a combo of green and yellow zucchini)
(I also added some green bell pepper (from our garden) and some mushrooms I had frozen in the freezer. Carrots, broccoli and celery would probably be really good in this, too, if I'd had them on hand.)

Mix all ingredients and pour into greased 9X13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. (I then turned the broiler on low for about three minutes to brown the top a little.)

2 comments:

The Voogts said...

This looks really good. But there is no way Justin would eat it as a main dish w/o meat :P I'd have to add some pre-cooked chicken or something. Is the 1/2 cup oil really necessary? That seems like a lot. You're so lucky that Kevin will eat mushrooms. They go well with just about everything, and I LOVE them. But Justin won't touch them.

I think our zucchini is done. The plant is looking pretty dead. I never thought I'd actually be wishing for more zucchini :p But I do. Oh well. I've got some sliced and shredded in the freezer. And I can get more at the farmer's market if need be.

I'll have to check on the yellow zucchini and see if Justin likes that better than summer squash.

Sara said...

Thanks for mentioning the oil, I forgot to put my comments on that in the post. I've added them now. I cut back to 1/4 cup canola oil and then added just less than 1/4 cup of water. I'm not sure why the oil is needed, but I didn't want to eliminate it all upon the first try of this recipe. Next time, I think I'll replace it all with water.

I think Justin will like yellow zucchini. Its just like the green zucchini, just a little more flavor. Let me know what he thinks if you find some to try.